[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1577: r.stream.extract/r.stream.order - "calculated" mainchannel vs. "real" mainchannel

Jarek Jasiewicz jarek.jasiewicz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:04:14 EST 2012

On 02/15/2012 03:33 PM, GRASS GIS wrote:
> #1577: r.stream.extract/r.stream.order - "calculated" mainchannel vs. "real"
> mainchannel
> -----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  hellik           |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
>       Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new
>        Cpu:  x86-32           |
> -----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
>   hi,
>
>   tested with wingrass64svn, srtm v4.1 (lat/long, ETRS89-LAEA, UTM zone N33)
>   and a river basin in the eastern part of the
>   alps (if needed,a test-location is available).
>
>   there'a really nice grass-addon available (thanks to Margherita) which
>   calculates some
>   ecological relevant characteristics of river-basins:
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-
>   addons/grass6/raster/r.basin/r.basin.py
>
>   the mainchannel of such a river basin is calculated by some calculation
>   steps of r.stream.extract [1]
>   and r.stream.order [2]
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-
>   addons/grass6/raster/r.basin/r.basin.py#L261
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-
>   addons/grass6/raster/r.basin/r.basin.py#L368
>
>   there seems to be sometimes a difference between the "calculated" and the
>   "real" (in the meaning of official hydrography,
>   science literature, etc.) mainchannel.
what does it means? Any reference? Main channel established in real
network or algorithms of modeling main channel?
>   an example screenshot of river basin in the eastern part of the alps is
>   attached
where it is?

Sorry. I cannot relate to this ticket, because, it is not clear what
kind of issue it reports.

r.stream.order does not calculate "main channel". It is impossible,
bacuase main channel is marked according different criteria, depending
on national surveys. R.stream.order in Gravielius/Hack hierarchy (Hack
is used after jGrass, this name is not especially correct) calculate
stream of first order as longest channel or optionally if you use SFD it
can use alternatively channel draining biggest basin area. That all. if
it is main or not main channel it is interpretation. Data generated by
hydrological modeling are deterministic realization of clear algorithms
on the specific dataset and does not reflect reality in 100%.

Hope it helps