[GRASS-dev] Copyright and license issue

Jarek Jasiewicz jarek.jasiewicz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 12:54:27 EST 2012

On 01/14/2012 10:23 PM, Hamish wrote:
> Jarek wrote:
>> Ok, it explains everything. So if I want to publish code with any GPL
>> privileges granded, but keep code integrity in one official place which
>> I can put in paper as link to OFFICIAL source code, with guarantee that
>> it won't be accidentaly changed, I must put it outside GRASS repository?
>> Right?
> is the intention simply to be able to provide a link to the exact version
> of the code you are writing about? or is it to retain personal control
> during the development phase?
both. This is because it is that not only code is in development but
also entire idea is under development. Frankly speaking I do not afraid
that someone may want to change code for no reason. The best option is
to publish code temporary outside the svn repository, but it also have a
lot of cons.
> if you simply need to be able to provide a link to the exact version you
> are writing about that's easy, just add "?p=" to the end of the websvn URL
> or "?rev=" to the end of the trac URL. e.g.:
>
> https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6/raster/r.fuzzy/?p=50005
>   or
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass6/raster/r.fuzzy?rev=50005
>

> if you want to delay releasing under the GPL until you have your article
> published, then you would have to wait to put it in the grass addons repo
> too, which is open to GPL-compatible code only. (as per rfc2)
This solution solves this problem partially. Maybe adding an asking in
main.c preamble to contact author before modify the code in this
particular repository may solve this issue??
thanks
Jarek