[GRASS-dev] Integrate XDR lib into GRASS?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 22 15:38:01 EDT 2012

Markus Neteler wrote:

> here at the FOSSGIS.de conference we tried to compile GRASS for Android.
> A major obstacle was XDR (e.g.,
> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/extra/xdr).
>
> Since it is only 4 files (or perhaps less used), why not incorporating these
> files into the GRASS source code?

FWIW, for the Cygwin build I used:

	http://code.google.com/p/bsd-xdr/

The simplest solution would just be to assume a "normal" architecture
(IEEE-754 representation for floats, two's-complement integers) and
scrap XDR completely. Anyone wanting to run GRASS on a Vax[1] would
need to supply the appropriate code and integration effort.

[1] Vax is the most common architecture which doesn't use IEEE-754 for
its native floating-point representation, and the only one which Sun's
XDR implementation supports.