[GRASS-dev] v.label.sa question

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 19:42:19 PDT 2012

Michael wrote:
> I need to label some vector points that are packed together such that
> regular v.label does a lot of overlapping labels. It looks like
> v.label.sa could do the trick. It is on the menu in the version of GRASS
> 7 I compiled at the beginning of May, before heading out on this research
> trip, but the binary is not present and the menu is greyed out.
> AFAICT, it comes standard with the GRASS source distribution. So anyone
> know why it doesn't compile by default? I didn't get any errors when I
> compiled. Does it require some special dependencies or only compile in
> some OS's (I'm on a Mac)?

it's not there in trunk as it was removed from vector/Makefile in r36929
"deactivated v.label.sa since yet broken".

the brokeness happened in this commit:
 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/34923/grass/trunk/vector/v.label.sa/labels.h

labels.c: In function 'labels_init':
labels.c:86: error: implicit declaration of function 'find_font_from_freetypecap'
labels.c:98: error: implicit declaration of function 'free_freetypecap'

?

In addition, a long standing wish is to make it more compatible with
v.label, so eventually it could be moved into a flag therein & remove
some duplication.

Hamish