[GRASS-dev] vector network questions

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sat Oct 6 15:17:32 PDT 2012

See below.

Michael Barton
School of Human Evolution &Social Change
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

...Sent from my iPad

On Oct 6, 2012, at 1:52 PM, "Moritz Lennert" <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 06/10/12 03:35, Michael Barton wrote:
>> 2. The lack of ability to query a network vector is a bug I think.
>> I'm guessing it's in v.what, but am not sure. Can you test to see if
>> you cannot query it either?
>
> I'll test when I get back to the office on Monday, but as a network vector is not different in essence from any other vector, either you can reproduce this querying issue with all vectors, or I would need much more precise info about what you are doing and what exactly is not working.

I did this and filed a bug report.

>> 3. v.net.path works fine with your example, but I still don't know
>> what the format should be when using cat values. Why 2 integers
>> before the cat value?
>
> As the man page indicates, you have the choice of two formats to feed the module the info about the path you want.
>
> 1) When you want to use nodes with cat values as start and end point, just indicate the cat of each.
>
> id start_cat end_cat
>
> 2) When you want to use coordinates as start and end point, you indicate x,y of start then x,y of end
>
> id start_x start_y end_x end_y
>
> The 'id' is an arbitrary cat value that you attribute to the resulting path.
>
> Each line represents one path going from its start to its end through the network.

Thanks. I don't know why this was not working. But it is now.

>> 4. I'm still not sure of the proper workflow to create a network from
>> an existing vector of lines--like a road or stream network--assuming
>> that I'm happy to use nodes at intersections in the original vector
>> map as network nodes.
>
> If you just want to use the intersections of the network, then v.net operation=nodes is what you need.
> If you want to connect points to a network (example: points representing schools to the network of streets) then you have to use operation=connect.
>
> The reasoning behind the second is that network analysis needs a topologically clean network, meaning that if you want to find the path form one node to another, these nodes have to be connected to the network for this to work. operation=connect does exactly that. If display your network after connection with nodes, displaying both the network on layer 1 and the nodes on layer 2, and you zoom very close to one of the nodes you connected, you will see that there is now a short line segment connecting the node to the nearest line of the network.

This is a BIG help for this key module. NOW I understand how it is supposed to work.

Michael