[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1758: Disabling python support does not prevent entry into python directories during build

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Oct 8 09:19:13 PDT 2012

#1758: Disabling python support does not prevent entry into python directories
during build
-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  brook     |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect    |      Status:  reopened
 Component:  Python    |     Version:  6.4.2
Resolution:            |    Keywords:
  Platform:  All       |         Cpu:  Unspecified
-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------

Comment(by glynn):

 Replying to [comment:3 brook]:
 > I take it from the above comment that python is a required prerequisite
 for grass, even for 6.4.2.
 No, it's not required. At least, it shouldn't be.

 > If that is not the case, it should be possible to build grass correctly
 without python,
 Correct.

 > something that I expected the --without-python to accomplish.
 It should be possible with or without that switch. In fact, the switch
 shouldn't even exist; it serves no purpose, as there are no longer any
 modules which need to be compiled against the Python library and headers.

 > - Is python a required prerequisite for grass 6.4.2?
 No.

 > (I hope it is documented as such for GRASS 7 as it sounds like it is a
 requirement.)
 It is a requirement for 7.0, and it's documented.

 > - What is the correct way, if any, to build grass 6.4.2 without python?

 The presence or absence of Python should not affect the build. If it does,
 that's a bug in the build system. Modules which require Python (e.g.
 wxGUI) should be installed regardless of the presence or absence of Python
 on the build system. Obviously, such modules won't work if you don't have
 Python on the target system.

 However: there are a couple of inevitable shortcomings if the build system
 lacks Python:

  * Python scripts (I think this is just v.krige) won't have manual pages.

  * The source message catalogue won't contain the strings used in the
 wxGUI menus.

  * Possibly other minor details. The issue is similar to cross-compiling:
 portions of the build system which rely upon the ability to execute the
 programs being built won't work if those programs are written in Python
 and you don't have Python on the build system. The main thing is that such
 issues should not prevent other components from being built.

 One issue I have noticed is `gui/wxpython/create__init__.py` which creates
 the `__init__.py` files for parts of the wxGUI. In 6.x, this should be a
 shell script, as Python isn't a requirement for the build system. Failing
 that, it should be included as part of the installation so that the build
 process can be completed on the target system.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1758#comment:4>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>