[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1452: wx location wizard doesn't ask for datum transform options because proj4 4.7.1's epsg file is broken

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 18 01:36:25 PDT 2012

#1452: wx location wizard doesn't ask for datum transform options because proj4
4.7.1's epsg file is broken
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  hamish              |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect              |      Status:  reopened
 Component:  Projections/Datums  |     Version:  svn-releasebranch64
Resolution:                      |    Keywords:  location wizard, g.proj
  Platform:  All                 |         Cpu:  All
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------

Comment(by pkelly):

 Hmmm, I have just read through the bug thread and am confused by all the
 discussion about PROJ. g.proj does not use PROJ at all (nor any files from
 the PROJ distribution) and strings passed with the proj4= option are
 interpreted by GDAL/OGR functions, so I don't see how changes to PROJ can
 fix the original problem in this report.

 I seem to remember there was an issue with the .csv files distributed by
 GDAL, which we include a copy of in lib/proj. We needed to avoid updating
 these to the latest version, because it included forced datum
 transformation parameters for many co-ordinate systems and datums, which
 meant that g.proj took these as given and no longer prompted for a user to
 choose their own parameters.

 Could the WinGRASS-specific issue perhaps be that the OSGeo4W version of
 GRASS is using a different version of the GDAL .csv files?

 Unfortunately I really don't have much time to look at this at present.
 But I don't think the bug should be closed, and the recent changes to
 g.proj were to fix a bug in the location wizard and were completely
 separate from this bug, as far as I can see.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1452#comment:36>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>