[GRASS-dev] r.modis in GRASS 7 trunk

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Oct 31 14:33:52 PDT 2012

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > I suggest that modules should not simply be moved from addons to
> > trunk, but that a developer has a close look at a module including
> > testing before moving it to trunk.
>
> +1, but I see Martin's point about lack of dev power. So the trade-off
> has to be between quality of code and value added of having a
> functionality in trunk even if the code is not perfect.

Relegating something to add-ons is a reliable way to reduce the amount
of developer oversight it gets. E.g. currently you can't just "make"
the add-ons/grass7 directory (it lacks a Makefile), so most developers
won't even try to compile it. If the modules were in trunk, developers
may notice errors or warnings as part of the normal build process.