[GRASS-dev] improving v.in.wms

Štěpán Turek stepan.turek at seznam.cz
Sun Sep 16 11:46:55 PDT 2012

Hello Hamish,

I have some suggestions for improvement of v.in.wfs module.

It would be good when parameters and flags would be same for all OGC
modules in GRASS.

I would suggest:
url -> mapserver (original r.in.wms module had mapserver parameter,
maybe url is better name but for compatibility reason I would stick to
mapserver)

-l  -> -c
or in r.in.wms -c -> -l

I would suggest to use similar design of the module as r.in.wms. This
allows usage of various drivers for getting data from server. Currently
r.in.wms  supports GDAL WMS driver and own driver. The structure allows
to add other drivers easily (e. g. OWSlib).

Also some parts of source code of r.in.wms can be usable for v.in.wfs
(e. g. transformation of bbox). This makes implementation of e. g.
transformation of downloaded data into projection of location relatively
easy.

I know r.in.wms well so if you would agree with these suggestions I can
modify code of r.in.wms to be usable for v.in.wfs module.

Stepan