[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS 7 tech-preview release preparations

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Aug 26 07:24:57 PDT 2013

On 26/08/13 08:56, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi devs,
> we should consider to get the preview (!) release out for the FOSS4G
> conference in Nottingham in September.

+1

I would love to use it for teaching also, but need a +/- official
version to get it accepted from our computer room managers.

> The wxGUI refactoring done by Anna and Vaclav (sponsored by Fondazione
> Edmund Mach) is also in SVN. We should identify the preview blockers
> now.

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&priority=critical&priority=blocker&col=id&col=summary&col=priority&col=status&col=type&col=milestone&col=component&milestone=7.0.0

Main blocker IMHO is still the Python and script launching issues (#580
and #1871, which are related). We did advance a bit, mainly looking at
the possible solution of using the Python Launcher [1], but then I left
on vacation and I don't think things have advanced since then. I believe
that solution is worth some more detailed study and testing.

For other two blockers:

- One has a patch applied that needs testing (#1941, Japanese locale)
- The other (#2017, compilation of osgf library) cannot be reproduced by
those that have tried. Can others try to reproduce ?

Concerning the critical ones:

- Two concern Windows code page issues (#995, #1288) for which I don't
really know what a possible solution would be (is it possible to create
a launcher for GRASS in Python, without using .bat at all ?)

- #1778 concerning modules not launcing GUIs is linked to there being
not one single required option in these modules. The question raised was
whether there is a possibility to make at a choice of at least one out
of a group of options required.

- #1662 has not been confirmed by anyone. Maybe Sören could provide the
test data.

- #1742 (menus hidden in non-english languages): It seems that the only
solution besides complete redesign has been to simply make the default
width of the layer manager larger. If everyone agrees this seems like a
simple fix.

- #1844 seems to me a mix of different issues, but at least part of it
seems to be related to the python script issues. I just tried with
sqlite and it also hung, so this might actually be quite serious.

- #2034 concerns issues on MacOSX apparently linked to the choice of
Python and wxPython versions. Cannot comment on that.

Moritz

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-July/065197.html