[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS 7 tech-preview release preparations

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 16:00:21 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> - #1742 (menus hidden in non-english languages): It seems that the only
> solution besides complete redesign has been to simply make the default
> width of the layer manager larger. If everyone agrees this seems like a
> simple fix.

Hi, I forgot to update [1] the ticked after the community sprint in Prague
(now updated). The new conception could be following:
* Main menu bar only for the main items (e.g. `g.region`) or even only for
settings and GUI window control (adding layers, opening windows).
* For finding and running a module, user should use the module tree in
the search modules tab. Here we can have a long list of basic groups
(toolboxes) such as Raster, Imagery etc.

In other words, in order to solve this issue, I vote for removal of
Database, Imagery and Volumes. According to #1742 [2] we need to remove at
least two items to get the German menu right.

Vaclav

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1742#comment:13
[2]
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/attachment/ticket/1742/grass_layer_manager_width.png