[GRASS-dev] Manual of r.reclass regarding removal of reclass maps

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Dec 4 15:39:42 PST 2013

Suggestion to alter the manual of r.reclass regarding the removal of an
"r.reclass" map,

Fom:

Because r.reclass generates a table referencing some original raster map layer
rather than creating a reclassed raster map layer, a r.reclass map layer will
no longer be accessible if the original raster map layer upon which it was
based is later removed.

Because r.reclass generates a table, referencing some original raster map
layer, rather than creating a reclassed raster map layer, an r.reclass map
layer would be no longer accessible if the original raster map layer, upon
which it was based, would have been removed.  Therefore, attempting to remove
a raster map layer from which an r.reclass has been derived, is only possible
if the latter is removed first.  Alternatively, a r.reclass map can be removed
along with its base map by using g.mremove's -b flag.

-- zip --

Also, in the event where the reclass maps have been removed and the the "base"
maps wont let be removed by g.remove (because the "system" still thinks they
exist... happens!?), one can force the removal, i.e. `g.remove -f `.  I am not
sure that this fits in the manual though. It shouldn't happen in first place.
See also: <http://gis.stackexchange.com/q/6923/5256>.

Nikos

ps- I have a diff if this is of interest.