[GRASS-dev] Major changes in the temporal framework

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 30 18:37:43 PST 2013

Hi Luca,

2013/12/30 Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com>:
> On 28 December 2013 03:33, Sören Gebbert <soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Luca,
>
> Hi Soeren
>
>> i will try to support your suggestion. I will introduce two GRASS
>> variables to be set via g.gisenv.
>>
>> Use:
>>
>> g.gisenv set="TGIS_DISABLE_MAPSET_CHECK=True"
>> g.gisenv set="TGIS_DISABLE_TIMESTAMP_WRITE=True"
>>
>> to disable the mapset check and the writing of the timestamps of each
>> map to the map metadata
>> in the spatial database as text files. You can set these variables
>> mapset specific.
>> Settings these variables "True" should (hopefully, because untested)
>> allow the registration of maps outside the current mapset, even if you
>> do not have the permission to modify the maps.
>>
>> A warning will be printed if these variables are set True.
>>

> this seams really cool, I'll test it when it will be on svn
>
>> BUT, be aware that this feature can lead to the corruption of the
>> temporal database and
>> unwanted side effects. You can mess up the temporal database if you
>> are not 100% sure what you are doing.
>
> can you specify a little bit more what can be the problems?

There are no tests yet that assure the correct function of this
feature and honestly i don't know what the side effects will be for
any circumstances, since the principle design is that space time
datasets are mapset specific, which is well tested and supported. :)

>> It is no longer possible to access the timestamp information of these
>> maps using the C-libraries, because
>> the timestamp information is not available in the map metadata text files.
>>

> sure ;-)

Well, unless you already set the timestamps using the C-library
functions or *.timestamp modules before.

Best regards
Soeren