[GRASS-dev] question about new query

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Feb 20 01:03:53 PST 2013

On 19/02/13 09:44, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/2/19 Anna Kratochvílová<kratochanna at gmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>> the previous system allows to change attributes by querying which is
>> in my opinion wrong behavior (#1608).  Currently, you can change the
>> attributes in the attribute manager and in the digitizer. I agree that
>> it is less convenient than before. So the query dialog could on
>> request display Attribute Manager with dialog for editing record or
>> DisplayAttributesDialog?
>
> I would agree with Anna. Attributes should be editable only in
> specific mode (in digitizer) or by specialized tool (attribute table
> manager).

I agree that editable attributes should not be the default, but I've
also always found unelegant to have to activate digitization (and so the
possibility of accidentally changing the map features) just in order to
be able to change an attribute. Also, the possibility to click on an
object to change its attributes is IMHO a basic feature any GIS should
have, and having to identify the object in the attribute manager through
other means (e.g. SQL search) is not the same. Why not go back to the
old way of offering both options: default is dialog without editing
(valid for both vector and raster), but also an option for vector map
querying with editable fields ?

Moritz