[GRASS-dev] start grass with only initializing the environment

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Wed Jul 24 02:36:34 PDT 2013

Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> writes:

> Rainer wrote:
>
>>  I would therefore suggest an additional startup argument for grass,
>>  which only sets the environmental variables, including library paths,
>>  so that GRASS commands can be executed afterwards,
>
> just make your own batch file or function(){} for /etc/bash.bashrc?

Sure - that is how it works at the moment, but I ran into problems: the
problem were library paths, which were not set (on Mac OS X).

Background: the idea is to use in spgrass6 to make it more robust to
different versions and platforms on which it is used.

>> and if the LOCATION_NAME and MAPSET are not provided, they will be
>> null and *have  to be set manualy afterwards*.
>
> that doesn't sound like a practice we should promote.
>

> what part of the start up are you trying to avoid? ('grass64 -text'
> works in 6 too, or 'g.gui text' to avoid the gui at startup)

Please see my other email, in which I explained why -text does not help
here.

> see also the usage for GRASS_BATCH_JOB, which basically does that in
> a non-interactive environment.

Exactly - what would be needed, is that GRASS does not exit, but rather
stays in the background and can be used via the spgrass6 command
execGRASS().

Cheers,

Rainer

--