[GRASS-dev] GSOC Horizons and Stratigraphy

Tim Bailey timibly at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 01:00:06 PDT 2013

Hi Ben,

All that I meant by mask is, in this case,  an r3 map that defines a subset
of space that subsequent operations are constrained to. I guess I was just
expressing worry about creating runaway data demands.The region settings
act as a three dimensional bounding cube, does not seem adequate to
constrain a tiling scheme with relatively sparse data.In the compromise
scenario that Dylan suggested with 10 meter xy and 1 cm z resolution and 1
meter depth we would be looking at populating 10000 voxels per hectare for
a flat landscape. However if we were using a simple bounding box to define
the region and we had 5 meters of relief we would end up with 50000 or
60000 voxels. As the area of coverage gets bigger cost of the range in z
values gets worse.

Tim