[GRASS-dev] grass, python, Pygrass

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 06:39:10 PDT 2013

Hi Ivan,

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Ivan Marchesini
<ivan.marchesini at gmail.com> wrote:
> concerning this problem I would ask (with the risk to be OT) which is
> the best python editor to work with.
> At the moment I'm working with Geany but I'm not so happy about that.
> What a really miss is an editor that, hopefully, can suggest the methods
> and the properties of an object during coding. I know that ipython is
> good for this but it is not so good for saving the code as a grass
> script.

I'm using spyder: https://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/

it is a multiplataform IDE with autocompletition and much more, but
you need to install:

pyflakes v0.5.0+ (real-time code analysis)
rope 0.9.2+ (editor code completion, calltips and go-to-definition)
sphinx 0.6+ (object inspector’s rich text mode)
numpy (N-dimensional arrays)
scipy (signal/image processing)
matplotlib (2D/3D plotting)
psutil 0.3+ (memory/CPU usage in status bar)

Optional modules:

IPython 0.13 (enhanced Python interpreter)
pylint (code analysis)
pep8 (style analysis)

Pietro