[GRASS-dev] compilation of grass on AIX 7.1

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 03:08:57 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Ivan Barka <ivan.barka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> so now I can configure G7 (revision  55464) on AIX 7.1 by command:
>
> export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/apps/bin
> CFLAGS="-lstdc++" ./configure --prefix=$HOME/apps
> --with-proj-includes=$HOME/apps/include --with-proj-libs=$HOME/apps/lib
> --with-proj-share=$HOME/apps/share --with-gdal=$HOME/apps/bin/gdal-config
> --with-libs=$HOME/apps/lib --without-tiff --without-png --without-opengl
> --without-tcltk --without-fftw --without-jpeg --enable-largefile
> --without-postgres
>
> output is in the attached file g7_configure_output.txt
>
> Trying to compile g7 by "gmake" I get errors everywhere - see
> g7_gmake_output.txt
> The first one reports that install-sh can not be executed, I dont know
> why...

To be precise, install-sh can not execute line 239:
	"$doit" "$instcmd" "$src" "$dsttmp" &&

On Linux, /usr/bin/install is used instead of install-sh, on Solaris
/usr/bin/ginstall from GNU coreutils is used. It seems that you have
the GNU C compiler on your AIX system, maybe you can also install
ginstall?

> gmake on this machine is GNU Make 3.80

According to the requirements, this is too old. Version 3.81 released
2006 is the minimum required version. Can you update gmake?

> make is probably native AIX make, but I really do not know its version, make
> -v does not work, nothing about it in man page. Trying to run make I get
> only errors - see g7_make_output.txt

On other UNIX-like systems (FreeBSD, Solaris) I found that make does
not work with GRASS 7, only gmake (GNU make) works with GRASS 7.

Markus M