[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 07:47:35 PDT 2013

Comparing to unix-like systems, MS Windows works strangely in terms of
executing programs (and scripts). Additionally, MS Windows don't have
package manager and packagers which would take care of incompatibilities
between applications. Moreover, most of the MS Windows applications behaves
in the way that they are the best and the only application on the system,
so they just associate every possible file with their programs (and
interpreters).

I'm always for pure, correct and clean solutions. However, I'm not expert
neither in MS Windows registry nor in Python virtual environments nor in
covering .py to .exe and nobody provided other implementation, so I
provided mine which is messy but it only reflects mess which I---maybe just
because of my lack of knowledge---see on that system.

I don't vote for my change to be permanent if we find a different solution.
But the fact is that scripts are not working now (for large number of
people) and this is the only solution we have. Like with democracy which
not perfect but it is the best political system available.

Vaclav

[r57910] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/57910
[r57911] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/57911
[#2039] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2039