[GRASS-dev] GUI wizards reducing functionality [was: Re: Missing subgroup functionality in GRASS 7 wxGUI's i.group?]

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Sep 11 06:07:27 PDT 2013

On 11/09/13 14:53, Newcomb, Doug wrote:
> Confirmed that the option does not work in the gui, but does work on the
> command line.  Have you filed a ticket?

This seems like another example of a gui wizard providing less than the
original module and the gui of the module becoming unaccessible via the
menus (cf also https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2042).

I do think that we should have a more general debate about how to handle
these issues. Personally, I'm very strongly opposed to this tendency of
"dumbing-down" the GUI menus. I have nothing against wizards, but I
think they should be an additional feature, not a replacing features.

Moritz