[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2255: g.mlist warnings for layers found in other mapsets

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 05:28:54 PDT 2014

Let me try to clarify with an example. Suppose I have two different
mapsets, Ethiopia and Ethiopiabackup, each with a number of layers with the
same name. Now, if I use (just selecting 1 layer to keep the example short):

*g.mlist type=rast pattern=fireprob_rf1 mapset=Ethiopia*

Gives me:

*fireprob_rf1raster map(s) available in mapset <Ethiopia>:WARNING:
'cell/fireprob_rf1' was found in more mapsets (also found in
<Ethiopiabackup>)WARNING: Using <fireprob_rf1 at Ethiopia>*

If I use

g.mlist type=rast pattern=fireprob_rf1

I get:

*fireprob_rf1fireprob_rf1 at Ethiopiabackupraster map(s) available in mapset
<Ethiopia>:WARNING: 'cell/fireprob_rf1' was found in more mapsets (also
found in <Ethiopiabackup>)WARNING: Using <fireprob_rf1 at Ethiopia>raster
map(s) available in mapset <Ethiopiabackup>:WARNING: 'cell/fireprob_rf1'
was found in more mapsets (also found in <Ethiopiabackup>)WARNING: Using
<fireprob_rf1 at Ethiopia>*

In both cases the warnings are redundant. In example one I am only
interested in what is in the mapset Ethiopia, thus, no need to tell me
similar layers are in the mapset *Ethiopiabackup* or that the ones in the
mapset Ethiopia will be used (what does that mean anyway, the function is
to list the names of the layers, not to use them in any way). In example
two, I can see from the list of layers that there are layers with the same
name that come from different mapset. No need to warn me again.

I don't think those warnings were displayed in earlier grass 7.0 version
and I just checked and they are certainly not in 6.4.