[GRASS-dev] v.buffer don't write metadata and v.info cut comments

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 03:30:29 PST 2014

Hi all,

I would like to add a comment in the metadata of a generated vector
map but the content is shortened. I'm in the NorthCarolina mapset,
from an ipython shell:

{{{
In [1]: !v.buffer --overwrite input=busroute6 at PERMANENT
output=buff__busroute6 distance=10

In [2]: !v.info buff__busroute6
 | Name:            buff__busroute6                                           |
 | Mapset:          user1                                                     |
 | Location:        nc_spm_08_grass7                                          |
 | Database:        /home/pietro/docdat/gis/                                  |
 | Title:           NC State University bus service Wolfline route 6 (lines m |
 | Map scale:       1:1                                                       |
 | Name of creator: helena                                                    |
 | Source date:     Thu Mar 15 23:35:50 2007                                  |
 | Timestamp (first layer): none                                              |
 | Map format:      native                                                    |
 |   Type of map: vector (level: 2)                                           |
 |   Number of points:       0               Number of centroids:  1          |
 |   Number of lines:        0               Number of boundaries: 36         |
 |   Number of areas:        4               Number of islands:    4          |
 |   Map is 3D:              No                                               |
 |   Number of dblinks:      0                                                |
 |   Projection: Lambert Conformal Conic                                      |
 |               N:   227741.05646361    S:   226151.51091547                 |
 |               E:   639360.09470206    W:   635143.56812813                 |
 |   Digitization threshold: 0                                                |
 |   Comment:                                                                 |
}}}

The command that generate the map is missing!
Should I open a ticket on v.buffer?

Let's add the command manually:

{{{
In [3]: from grass.pygrass.vector import VectorTopo

In [4]: with VectorTopo('buff__busroute6') as buff:
   ....:    buff.comment = 'v.buffer --overwrite
input=busroute6 at PERMANENT output=buff__busroute6 distance=10'
   ....:    buff.write_header()
   ....:

In [5]: !v.info buff__busroute6
[...]

As you can see the Comment string is shortened...
but in the header file is written correctly:

{{{
In [6]: !cat /nc_spm_08_grass7/user1/vector/buff__busroute6/head
ORGANIZATION: NC OneMap
DIGIT DATE:   Mar 16 7
DIGIT NAME:   helena
MAP NAME:     NC State University bus service Wolfline route 6 (lines map)
MAP DATE:     Thu Mar 15 23:35:50 2007
MAP SCALE:    1
OTHER INFO:   v.buffer --overwrite input=busroute6 at PERMANENT
output=buff__busroute6 distance=10
PROJ:         99
ZONE:         0
MAP THRESH:   0.000000
}}}

Instead the raster equivalent: r.info it is able to handle a long line.

{{{
In [11]: !r.info elevation
 | Map:      elevation                      Date: Tue Nov  7 01:09:51 2006    |
 | Mapset:   PERMANENT                      Login of Creator: helena          |
 | Location: nc_spm_08_grass7                                                 |
 | DataBase: /home/pietro/docdat/gis/                                         |
 | Title:    South-West Wake county: Elevation NED 10m ( elev_ned10m )        |
 | Timestamp: none                                                            |
 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 255             |
 |   Data Type:    FCELL                                                      |
 |   Rows:         1350                                                       |
 |   Columns:      1500                                                       |
 |   Total Cells:  2025000                                                    |
 |        Projection: Lambert Conformal Conic                                 |
 |            N:     228500    S:     215000   Res:    10                     |
 |            E:     645000    W:     630000   Res:    10                     |
 |   Range of data:    min = 55.57879  max = 156.3299                         |
 |   Data Description:                                                        |
 |    generated by r.proj                                                     |
 |   Comments:                                                                |
 |    r.proj input="ned03arcsec" location="northcarolina_latlong" mapset="\   |
 |    helena" output="elev_ned10m" method="cubic" resolution=10               |
}}}

should I open a bug on this?

Best regards

Pietro