[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 - Ubuntu package build problem on Launchpad

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 30 06:00:12 PST 2014

Hi Ivan,

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Ivan Mincik <ivan.mincik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30.12.2014 11:46, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> just tried to install GRASS GIS 7 on a freshly installed Ubuntu
>> 12.4 box but it failed (see below).
> Hi Markus, this is a problem with dependency on Ubuntu GIS
> repositories (I was writing about this earlier). You need to add also
> Ubuntu GIS repositories in to your system using the same way as you
> did for GRASS one.

I see, so the GRASS web site instructions were wrong. Have update them
now, at least for Ubuntu 12.4.

> Another problem is that GRASS builds depends on both
> 'ubuntugis-stable' and 'ubuntugis-unstable' which can produce strange
> results.

It seems that as of today 'ubuntugis-unstable' is sufficient - these
commands went through:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable; sudo
add-apt-repository ppa:grass/grass-stable; sudo apt-get update; sudo
apt-get install grass70-core grass70-gui grass70-doc

Installation done, now I can finally reproduce this error :-)

GRASS 7.0.0 (latlong):~ > Unable to get GRASS version
Unable to get GRASS version

GRASS 7.0.0 (latlong):~ > g.version -g
version=7.0.0svn
date=2014
revision=
build_date=2014-12-13
build_platform=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

> The best way is to install GIS.lab which is providing GRASS 7 :). I
> can update it to latest RC release if required.
>
> BTW, I am just currently fine tuning GIS.lab Unit installation wiki
> page [1].
>
> 1 - https://github.com/imincik/gis-lab/wiki/GIS.lab-Unit

Thanks Ivan, for sure I'll install GIS.lab-Unit next on your Intel
NUC! I just used the occasion to test the "standard" installation for
a test.

Next steps:
- understand this "GRASS version" not found error
- reinstall with
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:imincik/gis

thanks again for your support,

Markus