[GRASS-dev] Is grass70b4 compiling on FreeBSD ?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 31 05:04:01 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Fábio Dias <fabio.dias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, I got stuck recompiling all packages that used png :)

No problem.

> I looked at the output from configure (which I'll post fully tomorrow,
> if needed), and no error was found regarding liconv.

But what did it report? On Linux, I get

checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for iconv.h... yes  <<---
checking for langinfo.h... yes

You, too? If you get "no" there, please check the file "config.log".

> I was checking
> the UPDATING file from ports, apparently, some functionality from
> libiconv was moved to the standard libc. However, libiconv was later
> reintroduced because some of the features were still missing from
> libc. My guesstimate of the problem would be that, when testing for
> libiconv functionality, without -liconv, configure gets the answer
> from libc and doesn't include -liconv. When we try to compile, we use
> stuff that isn't yet on libc and things go awry.

Mhh, so we need to test for a specific function via configure. I see
for example in configure.in this test:

LOC_CHECK_LIBS(z,deflate,zlib,$ZLIBLIBPATH,ZLIB,,,)

Perhaps something similar we need to write for libiconv? Which
function does it specifically complain about?

BTW: I will try to get a VM running, currently downloading:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/VM-IMAGES/11.0-CURRENT/amd64/20141222/

> Changing the platform.make removed that error, but with the new
> configure/configure.in (just changed in the svn), it doesn't work
> anymore.

Please post the error. The recent change should be completely
unrelated to your issue.

> I changed the makefile directly, on v.generalize (which is
> the part that interests me the most), and it compiled successfully.

Maybe you posted it but which libiconv function was missing before so
that we can add a test?

Markus