[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 4 04:24:01 PST 2014

On 04/02/14 11:29, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Markus Metz wrote:
>> I agree. It seems that the wxGUI always uses the bundled GRASS_PYTHON,
>> the reason why the wxGUI works fine without a system-wide Python.
>
> That was done so that the system Python doesn't need to have wxPython
> installed. Note that wxpyimgview does something similar: the top-level
> script invokes the wxPython program via GRASS_PYTHON explicitly.
>
> But this only works for a closed system which knows what it is
> executing. It doesn't help us provide a command-line environment where
> Python scripts just work as they should.

I think this is the basis of some of the frustration in the ongoing
discussion: different use-cases and philosophies about what GRASS is and
should be. I understand that for many users (and I would guess for part
of the developers), GRASS _is_ a monolithic system and Python scripts
are only used from within, but for others the fact that it is a more
open, modular system makes for a large part of its attractiveness. So,
the solution we have to find has to cater to both, and unfortunately,
embedding Python will not suffice for the second use case.

I do have the feeling, though, that the python launcher is an
interesting path to explore.

Moritz