[GRASS-dev] r.viewshed fails on large raster: temp file already exists

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jan 2 07:26:06 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> To check, I have tried the "same" command using the new EU DEM (just
> as a test, I used the entire tile):
>
> # set big region:
> GRASS 7.0.svn (eu_laea):~ > g.region rast=eu_dem_25m_northern_italy -p
> projection: 99 (Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area)
> rows:       40000
> cols:       40000
> cells:      1600000000

Just for the record:
r.viewshed run 36 hours on a 2 years old machine to calculate the
viewshed on this region of 1.6Gigapixels.

Peak swap file size: 216GB, the stream_dir directory for swapping was
mounted over NFS, hence a bit slower than a local device.

So we only need to solve the number of files' limit in Windows' mktemp().

Markus