[GRASS-dev] wxPython 3 support

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 15:31:43 PST 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Maciej Sieczka <msieczka at sieczka.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you please tell what is the status of wxPython 3 support in SVN GRASS6
> and 7?

so far I tested grass 6 and 7 with wxpython 2.9 only. I am not sure what's
the difference between 2.9 and 3 but I hope it's not so big.

> There is a problem on Arch Linux, which has just replaced 2.8 with 3.0,
> and GRASS 6.4.3 says "ERROR: wxGUI does not support wxPython 3.0.0.0 yet"
> to that.

GRASS 6.4.3 was not yet working with newer wxPython, that's why you get the
error. Current GRASS 6.4 branch should somehow work although I was not able
to test the whole wxGUI, so you can expect some glitches. I would
appreciate if you can test and report errors which can be related to new
wxPython.

> Trunk G7 and 6 build OK against wxPython 3.0. On a very quick runtime
> check I noticed they frequently throw the following errors though:
>
> G7:
>
> /opt/grass70-svn/etc/gui/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py:234:
> wxPyDeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated item 'SetVirtualSizeHints'.
>   self.outputSizer.SetVirtualSizeHints(self.panelOutput)

Nothing critical, I didn't remove it yet because I'm not sure if it's
needed with wxPython 2.8.

> (wxgui.py:11592): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request:
> assertion 'width >= -1' failed
>
> (wxgui.py:11592): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request:
> assertion 'height >= -1' failed
>
> G6:
>
> (wxgui.py:18284): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request:
> assertion 'width >= -1' failed

I think it doesn't really break anything (right?) and it's hard to track
what's the problem so I usually ignore it.

Thanks for reporting,

Anna