[GRASS-dev] Critical bugs for 6.4.4 release: last chance to react, otherwise we'll release with these bugs

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jun 24 02:03:14 PDT 2014

Sorry for the somewhat aggressive subject line, but it's meant as a
heads-up and last call for action.

We want to release 6.4.4 and if no one has immediate solutions for these
bugs, I suggest to just declare them as known bugs and release.

*************Executive summary**********

Of the remaining bugs marked as critical I see two where we might still
need a backport to 6.4.4:

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/560 (WinGRASS not deleting temp
ppm files from map display)
- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2300 (v.out.ogr: spatialite
support not working)

For the rest, I think we can release with these bugs as know bugs.

More in detail;

Looking at

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=priority&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=component&col=version&milestone=6.4.4

I see 6 critical bugs:

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/72 (PNG driver: boundary rendering
is off by one pixel): This has been around for a long time. I'm not sure
I would classify this as critical, as it is mostly about display, not
analysis (AFAIU). I would vote for carrying this bug on to the next release.

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/335 (export floats and doubles
with correct precision): I'm not sure I understand what needs to be done
on this, but have the feeling that we can release with this bug.

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/560 (WinGRASS not deleting temp
ppm files from map display): should r56444 be backported before release ?

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2008 (grass.script's
find_program() can't find modules): I don't know how much testing r56867
(and subsequent modifications) has received, but no one has complained
since. AFAIU, the original problem of the ticket is solved, but there
are different discussions happening there, so I'm a bit lost.

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2087 (grass64 man page: missing
words): I've closed this as there have been no objections to the fix.

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2300 (v.out.ogr: spatialite
support not working): Hamish proposes a patch which he tested against
grass6devel. This sound sufficiently critical to me to warrant a backport.

Looking through the bugs classified as major, most are nuisances, but
not really critical. Possible exceptions:

- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2016 (v.surf.idw: very incorrect
results)
- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1500 (g.region returns wrong
convergence angle), but this seems to concern only specific environments
- https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2081 (r.sun (mode 2): sawtooth bug
in diffuse irradiation map)

Moritz