[GRASS-dev] Issues installing GRASS 7.0 from Ubuntu PPA

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 18:52:41 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Isaac Ullah <isaac.ullah at asu.edu> wrote:

> Sorry, premature send! Here's the error message:
>
> Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
> [Raster MASK present]
> GRASS 7.0.0 (Exp3):~ > Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 140, in <module>
>     sys.exit(main())
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 133, in main
>     app = GMApp(workspaceFile)
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 48, in __init__
>     wx.App.__init__(self, False)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
> line 7981, in __init__
>     self._BootstrapApp()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
> line 7555, in _BootstrapApp
>     return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 82, in OnInit
>     workspace = self.workspaceFile)
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/lmgr/frame.py", line 93, in __init__
>     grassVersion = grass.version()['version']
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 1467, in
> version
>     data = parse_command('g.version', flags='rge')
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 465, in
> parse_command
>     res = read_command(*args, **kwargs)
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 425, in
> read_command
>     return handle_errors(returncode, stdout, args, kwargs)
>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 308, in
> handle_errors
>     returncode=returncode)
> grass.exceptions.CalledModuleError: Module run None ['g.version', '-rge']
> ended with error
> Process ended with non-zero return code -11. See errors in the (error)
> output.

This relates to problems with g.version (#2351) and new, more strict error
handling (#2326). I tried to fix g.version in r61589 but I'm not sure if I
was successful, now it seems that I was not. I'm also not sure what r62747
changed in g.version checks. (Note: Both changes are backported to release
branch 7.0.)

At least the error handling now gives us the idea about what's happening.
-11 means segmentation fault on Ubuntu AFAIK, so it is really related to
#2351.

I changed the error handling to "ignore" in r62822 (and backported). It
reintroduces the original behavior before #2326. Although it might be
appropriate in this case, the better solution would be to fix g.version as
r61589 was trying to do.

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2351
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2326
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/61589 (
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/61683)
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/62747 (
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/62748)
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/62822 (
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/62823)

> I still have a GRASS session in the terminal, and can run some grass
> commands, but not others. For example, "g.region -p" is fine, but
> "g.mremove" give the following error:
>
> g.mremove: command not found
>
> Note that g.mremove was recently replaced g.remove. See Trac wiki for
details:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures#Renamedmodules

> The strange thing is that about a month ago, I was able to install a
> perfectly working version of GRASS7 on a similar computer with no issues
> (other than the apparently ineffectual error with g.version). I've tried
> this on three separate computers, and all have the same problem. I've tried
> installing all the dev packages I could think of (for example, all wx
> python dev libraries), but nothing seems to help.
>
> Any ideas what's going on? What can I do?
>
> There is something strange happening with packaging, the self-compiled
version does not suffer from g.version issues.

Vaclav

~Isaac