[GRASS-dev] Topographic prominence in GRASS

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 21 01:40:39 PDT 2014

Well, there is already r.prominence:

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass65/manuals/addons/r.prominence.html

See also this older mailing list post:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-November/053220.html

The source code in the Add-ons repository seems outdated.
I have attached a more recent version in which I have outsourced
the normalization functions to a separate module (r.normalize),
also attached.

I doubt that r.prominence captures the entire concept of
"prominence" as used in mountaineering, but maybe it's a
starting point.

Best,

Ben

--
Dr. Benjamin Ducke
{*} Geospatial Consultant

Spatial technology for the masses, not the classes:
experience free and open source GIS at http://gvsigce.org