[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS71svn using Windows shell (not bourne shell) thogh MSYS is installed

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Oct 23 16:08:20 PDT 2014

Vaclav Petras wrote:

> I'm afraid we have an issue with what we want. Do we want to remove msys
> in favor of native command line or do we want to have msys available
> because it is much better then the MS Windows native command line.

Nothing stops the user from installing MSys if they want it. In fact,
users who are likely to want it may already have it installed, so we
shouldn't be installing a second copy (which may conflict with their
existing copy; even if it doesn't, they now have to configure and
maintain two copies).

We shouldn't be forcing it on people. Whether it's "better" isn't the
issue. It's not what Windows users will be familiar with. It's not
what's going to be described if users search for documentation on
"Windows command line".

GRASS 6 has to bundle MSys because GRASS 6 won't work without it. That
shouldn't be the case for GRASS 7.