[GRASS-dev] grass71 css changes

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 13:17:31 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,

> >> here is the conversation. About the examples, we can add horizontal
> scroll
> >> bar, example is here:
> >>
> http://fatra.cnr.ncsu.edu/temporal-grass-workshop/#time-series-registration-and-visualization
> >
> > the GUI and Bash tabs are also cool... Martin
>
> would be possible to intergrated into GRASS manual? Martin
>
> I surely would. But there are some considerations and work involved.
Milestone would be 7.1. Tabs in the workshop page are in fact two things
(each with 3 subitems).

1 A
JavaScript and CSS machinery to create the tabs and do the switching. You
have to have JS for this. It is better to use jQuery to make things easier.

1 B
How the HTML should look like. I'm now using

<pre>
<code class="gui">
Menu: Temporal -> GUI tools -> Timeline tool
Select dataset tempmean
</code>
<code class="bash">
g.gui.timeline tempmean
</code>
</pre>

But it is not ideal in all cases. For the tabs, some other elements are
actually added (using JS, jQuery in particular).

1 C
The syntax can/should be highlighted. Now I'm using highlight.js, so I have
simple HTML and coloring is done on the fly. Maybe for GRASS, it would be
better to use pygments or something desktop/command line, so we would have
the simple HTML but no need to ship JS library.

2 A
Completely different thing (but related to generating) is the content of
the tabs. It seems that it is quite advantageous to generate some commands
automatically from one of the versions. I'm doing it now only for simple
cases in JS. Again, it might be better to do it during compilation using
Python.

2 B
One of the main questions is which languages to include and how GUI should
be handled. Note the difference between Standard (platform neutral) and
Bash; consider maintenance of GUI instructions; for Python, grass.script or
grass.pygrass; add also others such R or QGIS? You can perhaps generate
different ones on different occasions.

2 C
How will this influence the manual inside wxGUI rendered by wxPython? With
the CSS changes we are quite lucky, it simple supports nothing. But it will
not ignore additional HTML, so perhaps we would need to generate separate
manual without the multiple languages (maybe on the fly).