[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2727: wxGUI startup: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 15: ordinal not in range(128)

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 26 11:04:02 PDT 2015

#2727: wxGUI startup: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 15: ordinal
not in range(128)
--------------------------+-------------------------
  Reporter:  mlennert     |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  wxGUI        |    Version:  svn-trunk
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  encoding
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+-------------------------

Comment (by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:1 wenzeslaus]:
 > Replying to [ticket:2727 mlennert]:
 > > With a just freshly checked out trunk
 >
 > Do I understand correctly that this is not happening in 7.0 release
 branch?

 Well, I just checked out release70 and there I get the same error (with
 the added info that this seems to be linked to the v.nnstat addon, but in
 the command line and it does not prevent the gui from opening:

 {{{
 v.nnstat: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 15: ordinal not
 in range(128)
 }}}

 So maybe something in trunk that tries to handle addons differently ?

 > > We just cannot seem to get rid of these kinds of errors. I think this
 should be a top priority for work on the wxGUI in the near future as this
 is a severe usability issue for many people around the world.

 > It would be good if somebody who is actually running in this kind if
 environment would do these fixes.

 I'm willing to help within the limits of available time, but past
 discussions have left me in a state of perplexity concering these
 problems. AFAIU (and that's quite limited), there seem to be some
 fundamental problems with the handling of encoding issues in the GUI.
 Maris has tried to find some solutions and Glynn has weighed in with
 insights, but I don't think I quite grasp the whole thing.

 It seems to me that we need to fundamentally rethink encoding handling,
 but that up to now encoding issues have been 'fixed' one by one without
 getting at the underlying weaknesses. But maybe I'm completely wrong in
 that understanding...

 Moritz

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2727#comment:2>