[GRASS-dev] 'Stop' button in the GUI: what is it supposed to do and does that work ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Dec 15 04:18:16 PST 2015

Hi all,

During classes (working in a lab with Debian testing machines), I often
have the problem that students push the 'Stop' button in a module GUI
window, thinking that this will end the command. This can happen, for
example, when they launch a raster command without having adjusted the
region, leading to an enormous amount of cells and thus to very long
running times.

However, pushing the button stops only the interaction between the
command and the GUI, but not the underlying process. I have thus seen
student with 3 v.to.rast processes running in the background which they
thought they had stopped.

Could someone explain to me what the exact idea behind this stop button
is and how it should work / be used ? And maybe we should think about
whether it is a good idea to give the user the impression that they can
actually stop the process.

Moritz