[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] can not install addons with g.extension

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 14 00:21:33 PST 2015

On 02/09/2015 06:37 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
>> Right, `/usr/lib/grass70/tools/` contains `g.html2man`. This is
>> probably related to the packaging, my local sample installation (make
>> install from source code) contains `g.html2man.py` in the `tools`
>> directory.
>
> it's here [1]. I am not sure why .py is removed (any Debian packager
> expert here?)

This is for compliance with the Debian Policy, specifically section 10.4
Scripts:

"
 When scripts are installed into a directory in the system PATH, the
 script name should not include an extension such as .sh or .pl that
 denotes the scripting language currently used to implement it.
"

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s-scripts

It is a "should" requirement, so it's not a hard requirement. We had to
reinstate .py extention for GDAL scripts because it broke the QGIS
plugin for example.

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9924

The Debian package for GRASS installs most scripts under
/usr/lib/grassNN and not in $PATH, which is another reason that
stripping the extension is not required.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1