[GRASS-dev] Cannot install BOTH grass 6 AND grass7 stable from Ubuntu repo..

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Wed Feb 25 11:36:04 PST 2015

Hi all,

    I maintain a small group of linux machines, all with Xubuntu 14.04 on
them. I recently worked out a way (with help from Martin and Markus) to be
able to have the previous devel version of GRASS 70 installable via the ppa
repositories "grass-devel" and "ubuntugis-unstable", which worked well and
let me maintain current grass7 installs on all my machines, alongside
grass6 stable. This has changed with the release of grass7 stable, which
I'm trying to upgrade to on all the machines. What happens is that the
ubuntu package manager will not let me have BOTH grass7 stable AND grass6
stable installed at the same time. I have a feeling that the package
manager believes there to be some conflict, although there should be none.
Does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this, and how it can be
fixed? I'm happy to help in any way that I can, but repo packaging is not
something I know a huge amount about.

Oh, and to add just an extra "twist", I'm able to install the grass 7
"daily" package along side either grass7 or grass6. It seems just that the
two stable releases cannot live together (at least according to the package
manager)...

Cheers,
--
Isaac I Ullah, Ph.D.