[GRASS-dev] Cannot install BOTH grass 6 AND grass7 stable

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Wed Feb 25 12:19:49 PST 2015

The cause is the recent addition of conflicts with the official Debian
package for grass, see:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~grass/grass/grass70_release_debian/revision/62

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2015-February/074161.html

These Conflicts need to be removed from the GRASS upstream packages to
allow co-installation of grass & grass7.

Hmm. Ok. I think I get it, but it seems still like a bit of an issue for
those of us who need to maintain linux systems that both have the new
grass7.0, and are backwards compatible with grass 6 (e.g., for some custom
scripts to do modeling), and who don't know about (or want to deal with)
the dailies of grass 7.1 upstream (which are not "guaranteed" to work). If
it's not already the plan to make the changes necessary to have the new
grass 7.0 alongside the official ubuntu grass6.4, then it probably ought to
be. Apologies if this is already in the works!

~Isaac