[GRASS-dev] New splash screen for GRASS GIS 7?

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Jan 21 12:05:38 PST 2015

>> In my opinion we should not have the location selection dialog at all.
>> Revolution!
>>
>> We should start GRASS right away in latlong like most GIS in the world.
>>
>> Then let the user open the dialog to change projection if desired from
>> inside.
>>
>> This would avoid a lot of questions right away.
>
>Please don't do this ! I find the fact that GRASS does not provide a default projection system, but forces the user to think about projection from the >start, one of its strengths, both for work and for teaching.
>
>Moritz

Fully agree with Moritz here. In addition, the current startup with Locations and Mapsets gives a nice overview over the areas where work has been done earlier (and I have to admit that I have difficulties to imagine how Markus`s proposal will turn out in that direction).

What if people (new users) start working in latlong (or at least try) if that is started as default? I bet they will run into problems quite soon and I am not sure if that would be a better workflow or way to learn...

The Location and mapsets concept of GRASS is challenging for some indeed, but when you get it, you love it! The same as with g.region!

If technically feasible I would rather take Michael`s proposal a bit further and probably hide the path to the GRASS database once that is set in the user profile (so users are less tempted to use different folder) and only provide a button for changing it (e.g. in the "Manage" section).

Maybe if the sample datasets had a reference to a CRS could help understanding the location concept?

Cheers
Stefan