[GRASS-dev] r65348: Mapset's tmp dir placement and broken element search

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:53:31 PDT 2015

Moving the conversation from the ticket.

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 9:16 AM, GRASS GIS <trac at osgeo.org> wrote:

> #2349: CELL raster format: make ZLIB level 3 standard compression instead
of RLE
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  neteler      |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
>       Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
>  Component:  Raster       |    Version:  svn-trunk
> Resolution:               |   Keywords:  compression, r.compress, null
>        CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  All
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------
>
> Comment (by martinl):
>
>  Replying to [comment:34 glynn]:
>  > Replying to [comment:33 neteler]:
>
>  > I added some support for the improved r.null/r.compress functionality
>  lib/raster, but it was amongst the things broken by r65348 (the tempfile
>  changes), so this needs to wait until that gets fixed or reverted.
>
>  by "fix" you mean to ignore GRASS_TMPDIR_MAPSET when working with raster
>  data?

Hi, it seems to me that there is some confusion here. AFAIK r65348 has two
issues.

First, it allows unorthodox behavior of GRASS but this behavior is (or at
least should be) applied only when GRASS_TMPDIR_MAPSET is set to some
specific value. I don't see much problem with it as long as the
documentation properly discuss all the potential issues and the default is
the standard and safe way. This was discussed in [GRASS-dev] r65348
(GRASS_TMPDIR_MAPSET).

Second, it breaks reading of header files (and perhaps other files) in some
cases (issue reported in #2687). I really don't know how this is related to
tmp files (seems unrelated to me), but tests are showing that it happened
between r65346 (OK) and r65349 (broken). When I created #2687, I tried to
compile different versions manually and r65348 was when it got broken. Also
r65347 is backslash cosmetics in grass.py and r65349 is in grass-addons. In
first comment for #2687, Glynn explains that the picking of a wrong Mapset
by r.info "is caused by r65348, which constructs the path before the mapset
has been resolved." This renders trunk almost unusable.

I hope this overview helps,
Vaclav

r65346 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/65346
r65347 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/65347
r65348 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/65348
r65349 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/65349
#2687 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2687
#2687 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2687#comment:1
#2349 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2349#comment:34

[GRASS-dev] r65348 (GRASS_TMPDIR_MAPSET)
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2015-June/075220.html
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/r65348-GRASS-TMPDIR-MAPSET-td5208936.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/64556