[GRASS-dev] Wrong HOME environment variable at start-up

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Mar 2 02:29:30 PST 2015

In ~/.grass.bashrc, I put the test-line `echo ~  # or echo $HOME`
(sans backticks, of course).
Launching up G70, or G71, the echoed message reports HOME as being the
Mapset in which I launch GRASS!  For example, `grass70
/geo/grassdb/ols/PERMANENT` will give "/geo/grassdb/ols/PERMANENT".

Thus, `source ~/.bash_aliases`, inside .grass.bashrc, fails to deliver.
Now, asking for $HOME, inside GRASS, shows no error, ie: `echo $HOME`
gives "/home/nik".  Nevertheless, there is no single line anywhere in
~/.bash*  or  ~/.grass*  or  ~/.grass7/*  that refers to HOME.

Can someone help me understand what I have probably setup wrong?
Thanks, Nikos