[GRASS-dev] g.region zoom?

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon May 11 14:48:42 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just realized how g.region zoom actually works and I am wondering if it
>> is supposed to be obvious. I always thought it will set the region to the
>> raster map minimum bounding box, but it takes current region and only
>> shrinks it. The behavior is written in the manual (I eventually realized),
>> but it doesn't strike me as particularly useful.
>>

> What for example if you want to restrict calculations to the region
> defined by the non-null values of a particular map that has a different
> resolution than the maps you are using in your calculations?

I am not concerned with resolution but extent. I was mostly confused from
the case when I have region smaller than the extent of the raster (from
previous computation) and then I expected g.region zoom  to set the region
on the whole raster extent, but instead it shrinks even more if there are
nulls or it stays the same. So the result of the g.region zoom depends on
you previous region settings which was unexpected for me.

>> At least I would suggest to change the g.region zoom behavior in the GUI
>> -> right click on layer -> Set computational region from selected map
>> (ignore NULLS) to:
>>
>> g.region raster=map zoom=map
>>

> That does indeed seems the more obvious / intuitive behaviour to me

I will do that, thanks!