[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2757: r.import: ERROR: Input raster map is outside current region

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Oct 13 07:48:08 PDT 2015

On 13/10/15 15:58, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>
>> It is sort of hidden in the Optional tab, I am not sure if we gain much by
>> hiding it completely.
>
> As mentioned, I don't even understand the meaning of -n in r.proj. If
> anyone knows, please rephrase it in r.proj's manual.

In r.proj, -n provokes a call to bordwalk(), which is described in the
code (bordwalk.c) as doing the following:

  * bordwalk.c - projects the border cell centers of a map or region
  * to check whether they are inside the borders of another map/region
  * in a different location, and adjusts the cell header so
  * only overlapping areas are included. The function is called by main,
  * first to project the output region into the input map and trim the
  * borders of this in order to get a smaller map, and faster and less
hungry
  * memory allocation. Then main calls the function again, but reversed,
  * to project the input map on the output region, trimming this down to
  * the smallest possible rectangular region.

So, IIUC, this means that -n already crops the input map in the input
location before reprojection, instead of only writing those parts of the
output map that fall into the current region. This makes reprojection
faster if the target region is only a subset of the input map (again AFAIU).

Moritz