[GRASS-dev] r.in.lidar not running in Mac binaries for 7.1

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:02:25 PDT 2015

[Was: Re: [GRASS-dev] New Mac binaries uploaded]

Hi Michael,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

> That would be wonderful. I sort of got that impression too. But will the
> GRASS lidar tools be able to use LASlib instead of Liblas?

the binary in Dropbox has lasinfo et al. from LAStools. However, r.in.lidar
doesn't work (2 different computers). Does it work for you? Running
r.in.lidar or v.in.lidar --help and says

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/liblas.2.2.0.dylib

As I said earlier, GRASS is made to dynamically link with libLAS. In case
the API of LAStools library is the same, there might be a way to change the
GRASS configuration and makefiles or the ones for LAStools, so that GRASS
can compile with LAStools statically but I don't know the way.

Currently with LAStools compiled with GRASS on Mac, you can use the tools
in command line but it's useless for GRASS modules, namely r|v.in.lidar.

Thanks,
Vaclav

PS: Although I'm working on migration to PDAL [1], it will take some time
before it gets even to 7.1 (trunk), not mentioning 7.0. So, the libLAS
library is still needed.

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2732