[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2708: Run GRASS with Python3

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 23:38:38 PDT 2015

Hi Massimo,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:28 AM, massimo di stefano
<massimodisasha at gmail.com> wrote:
> what’s the state of port, is there any temporary fork of the project or should I apply the several patches on this ticket ?

So far all the grass/script library it seems to work (and it is
already in trunk), therefore you don't need to apply any patch.
The ctypes are still not working, but I have not the deep
understanding of this code, therefore it is difficult for me to port
them. Therefore all the libraries and modules that are refering to the
ctypes are not working on python3 (pygrass, temporal, etc).

Many python modules are not working out of the box for python 3, In
August I've changed them and I'm using them for testing since for most
of them the testsuite is missing.
May be it is time to sync my local changes and trunk.

The GUI will not start on python3, the wxpython became Phoenix:

- http://wiki.wxpython.org/ProjectPhoenix
- http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/main.html

Therefore if you want the GUI I don't think that python3 could be an
option (in short time at least).

> At the moment my build fails on most of core modules  my default python is V3.

As I said, I've started fixing most of them... if interested I could
sync my local changes to trunk next week.
However you can compile with python2 and execute with python3.

> Is there a way to specify in the configure which python has to be used for to build grass?

I personally use a virtualenv.
If I remeber correctly Glynn suggest to create a link in the grass
source root of your python binary.

IMHO use GRASS with python3, only for testing and contributing to the
port... not for your daily work.

All the best.

Pietro