[GRASS-dev] PEP 394 - The "python" Command on Unix-Like Systems

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:14:48 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:52 AM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 March 2016 at 10:52, Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I personally would like to see adoption of PEP8 and moving all python
>> code to be python3 ready. As old python versions are dying out, there
>> is less and less initiative to not do so.
>> Also related to
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2016-February/078828.html
>>

> I also have the same feeling, we should work to be python3 ready,
> maybe we could release 7.2 and start to work on it

I commit some changes in pygrass (r68138), temporal library (r68139)
and GRASS scripts (r68140) that were on my trunk from a bit...

At the moment the compile chain is not working on python3, so you have
to compile using python2 but then you can use GRASS with python3.
The issue with ctypes (#2708 [0]) is still valid, I've "locally" fixed
changing / with // only for the line: ('__val', c_ulong * (1024 / (8 *
sizeof(c_ulong))))

Of course, GRASS with python3 works only in text-mode, no gui.

All the best

Pietro

[0] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2708