[GRASS-dev] Fwd: MySQL support removed from GDAL & GRASS

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:21:41 PDT 2016

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl>
Date: 2016-09-07 23:13 GMT+02:00
Subject: Re: MySQL support removed from GDAL & GRASS
To: debian-gis at lists.debian.org

On 09/07/2016 10:58 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
>> Thanks to the lovely mess created by the MySQL/MariaDB maintainers,
>> MySQL support has been removed from GDAL & GRASS.
>
> thanks for info. BTW, can you post details about broken mysql
> packages? Thanks, Ma

The MySQL packages aren't broken, but MariaDB is not available on
mips64el which has become a release architecture for stretch.

To support the transition from MySQL to MariaDB, new packages have been
introduced to select the default variant, see the recent announcement by
the MySQL/MariaDB maintainers:

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/09/msg00000.html

The gdal & grass packages used to depend on libmysqlclient-dev to build
the MySQL support, but these needed to be switched to
default-libmysqlclient-dev to fix the Release Critical bug in gdal:

 https://bugs.debian.org/836962

When default-libmysqlclient-dev is installed, it pulls in the
libmariadbclient-dev-compat package which conflicts with
libmysqlclient-dev ensuring it cannot be installed at the same time.

Because the MariaDB packages failed to build on mips64el, gdal and all
its reverse dependencies need to be removed from that architecture to
not block transition to testing due to the missing binary packages on
that release architecture. This is too much work to be worth the effort,
which made me decide to remove the MySQL support instead.

As said in my initial message in this thread, if there is sufficient
user demand for MySQL/MariaDB support in GDAL & GRASS I may be persuaded
to reinstate it after the MySQL/MariaDB maintainers have fixed their
packages on all release architectures.

I personally don't need MySQL support as I'm using PostgreSQL for all my
database needs, so I'm perfectly happy leaving out the MySQL support.
But I don't maintain the GIS packages only for my personal needs (I
wouldn't maintain so many packages if I did). In Debian the interest of
our users carry great weight as enshrined in our Social Contract after all.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1