[GRASS-dev] GRASS working under Mac El Capitan with SIP/rootless?

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Sep 14 08:14:53 PDT 2016

I now have versions of GRASS 7.0.5, 7.2, and 7.3 that were compiled on a Mac running El Capitan that seem to work fine on the Mac, including the current El Capitan OS with SIP/rootless mode disabled.

They also seem to work fine on my laptop with El Capitan installed and SIP/rootless mode enabled. But it will be much better if others besides me test them.

You can download them at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4t0h1x8xwz9qnlh/AACFl4WQNtUPSAPtFE4Eg1Eua?dl=0

Oddly, the only things I've run into that don't work so far are 3D mode, vector digitizer, and raster digitizer. The only errors are the following in the terminal at startup:

Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
GRASS 7.3.svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ > Unable to import pyGRASS: grass_gis.7.3.svn not found.
Some functionality will be not accessible

And the following in the console after startup:

3D view mode not available
Reason: grass_gis.7.3.svn not found.

Vector digitizer not available
Reason: cannot import name GV_LINES
Note that the wxGUI's vector digitizer is currently disabled
(hopefully this will be fixed soon). Please keep an eye out
for updated versions of GRASS. In the meantime you can use
"v.digit" from the Develop Vector menu.

The 3D mode error seems similar to the pyGRASS not importing error
I'm not sure where GV_LINES comes from.

Any ideas on this? If these turn out to be the only problems, we are close to finally getting this issue resolved.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)