[GRASS-dev] v.clean threshold value unit for 'prune'

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 03:26:57 PST 2017

On 26 January 2017 11:53:30 pm Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Markus Metz
> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's a bug in the code [0], the algorithm is not working properly. There
is
>> v.generalize, therefore I recommend to remove the prune tool from
v.clean.

> Maybe keep (for consistency) and replace the functionality with an
> G_fatal_error() pointing the user to v.generalize?

For the GUI, and the manual page, I think it would be better if the
functionality is removed completely. Presenting an option that is really
not available would, i.m.h.o. be confusing.

For command line use, it is good to get a error with pointer to
v.generalize if users attempt to use 'prune' in v.clean. Especially
important to warn people properly if using this in a script.
For legacy reasons, it is furthermore probably good to mention in the Note
section of the help file that this function has been removed and that the
user can use v.generalize for this.

Just my 2ct.

> markusN
>
>> Markus M