[GRASS-dev] Dockerfile now in repo

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 09:15:25 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I just added a Dockerfile to the Subversion repository. The Dockerfile uses
the local source code, i.e. typically what you get with svn, because it is
a part of the source code. It it not downloading any GRASS GIS source code
by itself, so you can make changes in the source code locally and rebuild
the image (you need to tell Docker to remove the existing image (layer) or
to not use cache).

It is using Ubuntu, but something more lightweight may be more appropriate,
some other images, on the other hand, may bring some additional features.
It is not installing any GRASS addons or using PPA repositories.

The documentation is in the README (yes, we have a README file ;-). I hope
it is the right place. It contains example which runs all the tests. It
assumes you have NC SPM location on your (local) disk.

The image keeps the source code (the source code is not removed) and it has
one volume which you mount and that's where the data are supposed to be.

Please, send the feedback here. Let me know if it fits your use cases and
open tickets if you have some requests.

Vaclav