[GRASS-dev] Week 02 Report: GRASS Locations from Public Data

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jun 12 00:48:43 PDT 2017

Hi Zechariah,

Thanks for your report !

I have two remarks which should probably better be discussed at this
stage of the project:

On 11/06/17 23:53, Zechariah Krautwurst wrote:
> WEEK 02 REPORT: JUNE 05 - JUNE 09
> GRASS GIS Locations from Public Data [1]
> Zechariah Krautwurst
>
> ACCOMPLISHED
> - Reviewed Python scripting for GRASS documentation and existing GRASS
> data import modules
> - Wrote SRTM 30 download script using Python Elevation library and GRASS
> output

IMHO, I think it would be better if we avoided additional outside
dependencies as much as possible. Is it really that hard to implement
our own download routine of SRTM ?

> - Researched USGS data download methods, REST API’s and HTTP protocol
> - Reviewed The National Map (TNM) API documentation and tested
> coordinate output methods from g.region as input to TNM API for SRTM ⅓
> arc sec NED tiles

I don't know if you have already made a list of target datasets, but I
would plead for using global datasets, instead of USA-only datasets,
whenever possible.

You can check the wiki page on global data sets for inspiration:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_datasets

Also don't hesitate to update this page if you come by any other
interesting global datasets.

Moritz